Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nothin' But Time

Nearly there!

In the completion of what I think will be the best version of Wielder yet, I have mapped out what I have left to do and how long it should take. It helps me to have a goal, but unless I have a major deadline, I like to pace myself.

Here is my writing schedule as I predict it:
Finish major rewrite: two days
Break to ponder and outline a little: three days
Edit main character: three days
Edit minor characters: Week and a half to two weeks
Break to get a little perspective: two days
Read through one last time to catch any minor oopses or weak points: four days
Hand over to one or two trusted readers: two weeks

Total: just under 6 weeks (this is an outside figure, of course. I'll bet myself a pint of chocolate Haagen Dazs I can get it done in less time!)

When this schedule is complete, it will be handed over to my honored agent for a final reading, but I dare not assign Stan a time-limit. He is far too busy to put everything else aside just to read my latest manuscript! (but, from experience, I'm guessing about 2 weeks)

Once I've made his changes, he will shop it around and that's where time loses all meaning. As all the writing world knows, Publishers must and will take their time over your work--and rightly so! I don't want MY book passed over because their just wasn't enough time!

And so, here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment