Thursday, September 2, 2010

Mind v. Body

Sometimes (okay, a LOT of times these days) I'm up until 1 or 2 in the morning working on my edits. I enjoy it so much--the quiet (kids asleep and no one calling) and the opportunity to really bury myself in the story.

Of course, once I'm done for the night I have to follow it up with a light book or movie--something to help my brain wind down from its writing high. This usually works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Two nights ago, I finished my chapters around 1:30 then pulled out "Cold Comfort Farm" (fabulous light reading!!!) for half an hour. When my eyes were swollen with sleep, I gave up and headed upstairs. Fell into bed just after 2 AM and turned off the light. SO ready to sleep.

And then it hit me.

Chapters 10 and 11 were all wrong. Really wrong. I mean, throw out half of it and insert a totally new and incredibly VITAL scene. Out with the dull and unnecessary blah. The new scene would be intense, thrilling, and I knew exactly how it would play out. How did I not see this before? HOW?

And why did it have to hit me at 2 in the morning?

You can guess what happened. I know you can. Oh yes. I laid awake for anther half hour--eyes wide open again--planning, outlining, working out little details. At 2:30 I had a choice: get up and write the wretched scene (and give up an entire night's sleep, of course) or put it away and do it right the next day.

I weighed the options: sleep and sanity v. the realization of an epiphany. The eternal conflict--Body v. Mind.

Who won? Well, both, in the end, but at that critical moment--Body. I went to sleep and survived the next day. I did not, in fact, get a chance to write the new scene until today. Poor Mind had to wait two days to make its magic.

I think it was worth it, however. See, sometimes an idea that seems Life-altering and Brilliant at 2 AM turns out to be Blah and Foolish just a few hours of sleep later. In hindsight, retreat was definitely the right choice and I'm glad I did.

Don't be fooled. My 2 AM idea was every bit as amazing as I'd hoped. EVERY BIT. But it might not have been and sitting on it for two days confirmed it for me. Also, having a fresh brain made the writing that much easier and the resulting chapter that much better.

Yay, Inspiration! I love you! I couldn't get by without you!
Now, go buy a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment