Sunday, May 22, 2011

Good Enough?

Here we go...sprinting to the finish!

I've completed my overhaul of the synopsis, outline, bio, and query letter. My husband is more than halfway through the manuscript and I'm already working on the part he's finished. In other words--nearly there!

And a good thing too. My baby girl is due in six weeks and they way things are looking, she may not be willing to stay inside that long. We've already had one bout of 'false labor' that seemed pretty real to me (even the doctors were nervous). I'm being told to rest, drink lots of fluids, and stay calm. (Right! With two toddler boys running around? Ha!)

Stick it out, little girl!

Still, all this time 'resting' has given me more time to work on the manuscript.
Confession: the closer I get to being done, the more nervous I feel. Knowing this is the last rewrite for some time kind of scares me. I've written enough to know perfection is never really attainable--for me anyway. I can get close, but there's always an error to fix or a phrase that could be just a little clearer. My mother (an amazing writer herself) calls it layers of editing.

So here we are, about to send my work out to editors, and I just can't be sure what layer of editing I've reached. I feel good about this book now--confident that it's the best it's ever been. But is it good enough?

I guess we'll find out...eventually.

First I have to finish! Ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment