Sunday, October 3, 2010

Edits...Again

Well, I did it--I finished my big overhaul! I actually finished a few days ago, but I've been on break. I am now outlining and planning my next edits (the ending, for example, isn't quite satisfying enough).

Other edits include: reviewing each character for consistency, interesting details, and relationship arcs. I'd also like to trim it by a few pages--or more. It's 400 pages! I know there are longer books out there, but it feels too long. I might be wrong, of course. It might be just right. I''ll have to read it through a few times to make sure.

So, though I've made huge progress here, I'm not done yet. The biggest difference is the level of editing. What I just finished was a 'pull-it-apart-and-put-it-back-together-again'--interesting, but time-consuming and exhausting. Now I get to fine-tooth-comb it, which I enjoy very much!

Today is the last day of my 'break' and tomorrow the work begins again in earnest. The goal is to have it in Stan's hands by, or before, Thanksgiving.

Good luck to me and everyone else up to their eyeballs in edits!

No comments:

Post a Comment