Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Should or Shouldn't?

I read somewhere that you should always write--even if you don't want to--even you don't feel inspired at all. Well, I decided a few weeks ago that this theory is flawed. There are times you (or, more specifically, I) shouldn't write.

So here is my list of Times you Should and Times you Shouldn't. Follow or not as suits you best, fellow writers.

When you Should:

-if you feel inspired.
-if you have a deadline.
-if you don't have a deadline.
-if you want to.
-if you want to finish your novel.
-if you don't really feel like it, but still have a clear head and time to get 'involved'.

When you Shouldn't:

-if you are trying to write something cheerful, but are feeling angry, depressed, picked-on, etc.
-if you are on medication that impairs your mind and ability to be coherent.
-if you should be focusing on something else (i.e. your job, your children, driving, kissing your significant other, sleeping, etc.)
-if you don't want to finish your novel.
-if you really hate writing, but someone else thinks you should.
-if you wake up at three in the morning with a 'brilliant' idea, but you have to be up by 6 with your kids, job, and/or other commitment.

I guess the moral of the blog post today is: writing is marvelous, beautiful, satisfying, and even, sometimes, your job. But it isn't your life. Sometimes you shouldn't be writing. Sometimes you should be living and doing other things.

For me personally, writing is a disease--a lovely, pleasant disease--that would consume me and all my time, if I let it, but I don't. And I believe my writing is better for it.

What do you think? When 'Should' you write? When Shouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment